Judith M Wilson - Author, Journalist, Writer, Editor
Independent Writing, Editing & Copywriting Professional
|Address:||Tiburon/Belvedere, CA 94920|
Judith M. Wilson
Independent Writer, Editor and Consultant
• The Challenge of a Lifetime: https://www.northbaybiz.com/2022/06/01/the-challenge-of-a-lifetime/
• A Passion for Justice: https://www.northbaybiz.com/2022/05/10/a-passion-for-justice/
• Somo Village: A Model for Mindful Living: https://www.northbaybiz.com/2022/04/01/somo-village-a-model-for-mindful-living/
• Public Health and the Pandemic Era: https://www.northbaybiz.com/2022/03/01/public-health-and-the-pandemic-era/
See more at www.northbaybiz.com.
North Bay Woman
• Splashes and Petals of Color (page 22)
• Marks of Motherhood (page 44)
Marin Independent Journal
• Benefits of senior discounts can add up (page 12) and A resource guide for seniors (page 18)
Summer Camps 2022
• Family adventures close to home
- Blog posts
- Business overviews and pitches
- E-mail and online marketing
- Feature articles
- Invitations and announcements
- Marketing content for brochures
- Press Releases
- Telli Page creation
- Content and substantive editing
- Developmental editing
Assistance with Self-Publishing
- Content planning and structure
- Formatting and style
- Current, Independent editor, writer and consultant
- Current, ESL Teacher
- October 2008-May 2011, Managing editor of The Ark newspaper.
- June 1998-May 2011, The Ark, Special sections editor, education reporter, crime reporter, columnist, arts writer and feature writer.
- May 2009, Article on WPA art at Tamalpais High School, which appeared a special section in the Mill Valley Herald.
- 2003, Copy editor and publisher of "Tamalpais High School, A Remembered History, 1961-2000," Tam High Foundation.
- 2003, “A Brief History of Energy,” Chapter One in "Energy for Keeps," Educators for the Environment, Tiburon, CA.
- 1999-2001, Consultant, Telli News, Telli Marin, Mill Valley, CA.
- Other Experience, writer and editor of elementary school educational materials, Guinness Cultural Studies, Tiburon, CA, and Guinness Publishing, Vancouver, B.C.
- 2015-2022, Press Aide, Tiburon Challenger
- 2009 to present, Tiburon-Belvedere Rotary Club, reporter and publisher of the club’s weekly newsletter; publicity and PR rep, writing marketing materials and press releases.
- 2005 to present, Tamalpais High School Alumni Association, art restoration project.
- 2004-2009, Belvedere-Tiburon Landmarks Society, wrote and edited the organization’s quarterly newsletter, The Landmark.
- 2000-2003, Co-chair of Tam High Foundation. Wrote fundraising materials, articles for the school’s newsletter for parents and an annual report to donors.
- November 2021, Holiday Gift Faire, St. Stephen's Church, Belvedere
- November 2019, Art Angels Fair, St. Stephen's Church, Belvedere
- July 2018, Bubbles, Bags & BBQ, a fundraiser for the Rotary Club of Tiburon-Belvedere
- November 2017, Art Angels Fair, St. Stephen's Church, Belvedere
- February 2015, Crab, Chardonnay and Chocolate, a fundraiser for the Rotary Club of Tiburon-Belvedere
- August 2014, Set Sail for Adventure, a fundraiser for USA 45 Racing's participation in the Red Bull Youth America's Cup
- July 2013, Southern Marin Rotary Barbecue, a social event of the Rotary Clubs of Tiburon-Belvedere and Sausalito to welcome the USA45 Racing team to the community
- March 2013,Crab, Chardonnay & Chocolate, a social event for the Rotary Club of Tiburon-Belvedere
- November 2012, Festa Italiana, a fundraiser for the Rotary Club of Tiburon-Belvedere
- May 2012, Tiburon Toasts the Golden Gate Bridge. A community event to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge.
- December 2011, SpaghettiStock, a fundraiser for the Rotary Club of Tiburon-Belvedere
Summary of Experience
- Current: Freelance feature articles, copywriting, e-books and educational material.
- The Ark, October 2008 – May 2011 (2 years 8 months) Tiburon, CA: Editor of weekly community newspaper, circulation approximately 2,500. Responsibilities as editor included assigning stories, photographs and illustrations, copy editing, applying elements of style, formatting, copy fitting, determining content and designating placement of copy and visuals.
- The Ark, June 1998 – May 2011 (13 years) Tiburon, CA: Writing assignments included the education and crime beats, a weekly school news column, a monthly arts column and feature stories that resulted in more than 1,000 bylined articles and over 500 without bylines. Also served as special sections editor from 2002 to 2010.
- Prior experience included writing and editing social studies books and writing support material.
Honors and Awards
- July 2010, The Ark's special section "All About Home," Judith Wilson, editor, received First Place, Best Family Life/Living Section, circulation less than 6,000 in the National Newspaper Association's Better Newspaper Contest.
- July 2009, The Ark received third place Best Education/Literacy Story for "¡Fantastico! A Workout for the Brain," by Judith Wilson, published in special section "Art of Aging."
- University of British Columbia, Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Composition
- Other studies: University of Ottawa (French) and University of Toronto (English and Psychology)
- Additional studies:
• University of California Berkeley, TESOL certificate
• Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo (Advanced Spanish)
• University of California Extension: Fiction, Food Writers Workshop, Newswriting and Publishing
• Book Passage Travel and Food Writers' Conference 2011
- Proficient in Microsoft Word
- Experienced in PowerPoint, InDesign, PhotoShop and Excel
- Familiar with AP Style, The Chicago Manual of Style and Words Into Type
- Working knowledge of Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and French
- Society of Professional Journalists
- California Writers Club, Marin Branch